The Time of My Life

Well, I'm back. Back in the States.

Facebook has exploded with congratulatory posts affirming me in my summer and return, commenting on how great of an opportunity I had, and generally remarking that it was the "time of my life."

I only get one?

That was my first thought upon seeing such a statement. What a glorious opportunity for you! Glad you enjoyed it--now it's time to settle down and reach for that mediocrity and normalcy we all long for.

I'm sure that wasn't what my friends meant. They meant to be encouraging. They meant to be supportive. And I'm glad they said it, because it got me thinking and putting into words what I've always known to be true about myself:
I intend to have the time of my life all the time.
Having a great time--enjoying everything life has to offer--has nothing to do with where I am, what I do, who I know, or how I got there. My enjoyment and appreciation of my life is controlled by one thing: me.

If I wake up, bemoan the day, and drag my feet out the door, my day will probably suck.

If I wake up, smile, and walk out the door with eagerness...my day has significant changes of being awesome.

What changed? They're the same day. What changed was my mindset. What changed was my ability to look at adversity and think, What is this teaching me? How am I growing as a person through this? instead of, The universe hates me, everything's against me.

Every day, you wake up with a choice. Are you living the time of your life? Or are you waiting for it?

When I was in Germany, I would occasionally stop as I walked across campus and look around. I would think, I am here. I get to be here. It is so epically cool that I am here, right now.

But here's something surprising: I was doing that before I went to Germany. It's a habit I formed at my American university. It's a habit of realizing that right now, I am living a great life. Because if you can't appreciate your great life right now, you won't be able to appreciate it when it's even greater.

Maybe your life isn't great? It could be--you control your enjoyment of your life. You control what you get out of it. You control whether or not you are living the time of your life--right now, always right now--or if you'll spend the rest of your life reminiscing or waiting for it.

No one will judge you for reminiscing. No one will judge you for waiting.

But meanwhile, I'll be living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melody's 2023 Reading

Melody's 2022 Reading

Melody's 2021 Reading: Cultural Differences