It's Time To Sail

I ran into an old friend today at the grocery store. We can both legally buy a beer; that's how old we are now.

As we parted, she congratulated me on moving out and into an apartment. I cringed. "I know. I guess I'm a grown-up now."

She laughed. "I'm doing my best not to be."

I smiled back as I walked away and agreed, "Yeah, I'm resisting."

I've been resisting for several years now, ever since high school graduation crept around the corner and left me graduated. For that long, I've been digging in my heels.

Quick images of my prior and ongoing aversions to adulthood swept through my head as I walked away. So I asked God, "What is up with our generation? Why are we so opposed to growing up?" {Article after article has expressed frustration with our generation. "The millennial generation just can’t quit mom and dad," wrote Joe Belfiglio for Yahoo! Finance (link).}

I paraphrase what I feel like His reply was, as I walked through the store: "I wish you all would. I have great things in store for you all once you do."

And then my eyes landed on the following wall art in the floral department: To Reach A Port, We Must Sail.

It's time to sail. There are ports waiting for a generation that refuses to step outside.

It is time, my millennial friends, to grow up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melody's 2023 Reading

Melody's 2022 Reading

Melody's 2021 Reading: Cultural Differences